2021 August Newsletter
“As you can likely gather from its name, a mini-split/ductless system is a split system, which means it has components that are located inside and outside the home. However, unlike traditional split HVAC systems, ductless units do not rely on air ducts to route air throughout your home. Rather, a ductless air conditioner is designed to heat or cool a single room, a zone or an addition to your home that may lack or cannot accommodate ductwork.
The mini-split/ductless systems are an excellent option for attics or garages that have been converted to living space, or for home additions that would require extending your existing ductwork.”
Benefits of a Mini-Split
- Providing both heating and cooling through a single device – a heat pump. Heat pumps have been used, mainly in Southern climates, for decades.
- Avoiding ductwork. Instead of difficult-to-install, leaky and bulky ductwork, ductless mini-split heat pumps use an indoor unit connected to an outdoor unit via refrigerant lines (see image below).
- Allowing for different climates for each room. Each indoor unit can provide customized heating and cooling — adjustable through wall consoles, remote controls and smart phone apps — in each conditioned space.
- Cutting heating costs in half compared to conventional electric heating systems. Because they transfer instead of generate heat, ENERGY STAR certified ductless mini-split heat pumps use 60% less energy than standard home electric resistance-based heating systems.
- Cutting cooling costs by 30% compared to conventional room air conditioners. ENERGY STAR certified ductless mini-split heat pumps use more sophisticated compressors and fans that can adjust speeds to save energy.
- Keep the outside clean: Dust your indoor unit as part of your weekly cleaning. Dust and dirt that collect on top of the unit can make their way inside and cause issues.
- Clear space around the unit: Keep large furniture and decor away from the indoor unit and keep bushes and trees away from the outdoor unit.
- Check your filters: As with a traditional air conditioning system, you want to check your filters monthly and clean/replace as needed. This will allow your system to stay clean and free of dust/debris.
- Schedule routine maintenance: Having a technician inspect the outdoor and indoor components is key to keeping your mini split running efficiently.
- The condensate line in a mini-split is smaller in diameter than in a traditional unit so it clogs easier. Therefore, the condensate line needs to be flushed and cleaned yearly. This cleaning is included in our Silver Maintenance Plan.
Hamstra Helping Hands in the Community
Canned Food Drive
This is our last month to collect cans for the Community Food Bank. Thank you so much to those who have already donated! And a BIG thank you to Jen Hall Racing and the Better Business Bureau Serving Southern Arizona for helping collect cans for our food drive. We really appreciate everyone’s support!
Parent Aid We Care Gala
Hamstra Helping Hands is the proud sponsor of the Parent Aid We Care Gala and Auction. Proceeds from the event help fund many of the services Parent Aid provides like in-home parent support and community-based parent education. This year’s Gala will be held on Saturday, August 21st from 5:30-9 pm. To learn more visit https://parentaid.org/we-care/we-care-2021/
Relay for Life
We are proud to sponsor the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. This year’s event will be held on Saturday, September 25th from 5-10pm. To learn more visit www.relayforlife.org/tucsonaz. We relay in honor of all of those affected by cancer but near and dear to our heart is Glenn Hamstra, founding member of HHC, who passed away from lung cancer in 2013.
What our Customers are saying
My Mom is 89 years old. Hamstra has been taking care of us for 16 yrs. Taylor is professional and knows exactly what he is doing. Always respectful and courteous. Mom Loves Taylor! Thank you Taylor and Hamstra. Looking forward to many more years with you.
I've been a homeowner for over 40 years and never have had such a thorough and comprehensive maintenance service on an HVAC system before. Shane seemed knowledgeable, competent, professional and went out of his way to be helpful.
The installer Alex was very knowledgeable and professional. He was very helpful and patient with any and all of the questions I had. Kudos to Hamstra Heating and Cooling, Inc. for employing Alex. He is a true asset!
- Melyssa P
Excellent work performed by people who know what they're doing. From start to finish, I was always in the loop, and any questions or concerns I had were addressed promptly and professionally. They are a top-quality outfit and were dedicated to my satisfaction, which they delivered 100%.
- John H