Hamstra Nominated for Tucson Small Business of the Year
View the video below to see why Hamstra Heating & Cooling was nominated for Tucson Small Business of the Year.
Hamstra Heating & Cooling (HHC) was founded November 1, 1983 by Glenn Hamstra and his two sons, Jeff and David. Glenn had 34 years of experience in the HVAC industry, Jeff had 11 years and David had 9 years of experience when they founded HHC. Glenn decided to form the company because he was tired of being unable to provide the level of customer service he felt was right while working with other local companies. Jeff and David were working as field installers for separate companies at the time and jumped at the chance to join their dad in the new business venture. They two had seen the lack of customer service provided in the HVAC industry and saw an opportunity for a customer oriented company in Tucson.
Glenn managed to get a $20,000 loan from the bank which they used to buy two trucks for $1500, buy two pieces of shop equipment to make duct, pay rent on a small building and buy materials for their first job. Initial business came from builders that Glenn had formed relationships with over the years. These builders were thrilled that Glenn had finally gone out on his own because they knew what kind of guy he was and knew what kind of work he would produce. Eight months passed before Glenn was able to take any wages Eleven months passed before HHC was able to hire its first employee; his name was Robert Orr and he still works for HHC today. In 2005 HHC owners bought a 7,800 square foot building that sits on a 1.3-acre lot. This is the new home of HHC's fabrication shop, which officially became its own company as of January 1, 2007 under the name Sheetmetal Solutions.
2006 represented the largest revenue year for HHC and the arrival of a third generation into the management of HHC. Wade Hamstra, Jeff’s son, had worked in the company his entire life performing every job from sweeping floors to complicated engineering. In May 2006 he graduated from the University of Arizona with a degree in Business Management and assumed his current role of General Business Manager. Wade has modernized the operation and has brought a new focus to the organization. In July 2010, he will be the first Hamstra in Arizona to earn his Masters Degree in Business Administration.
- November 1, 1983 - Company founded by Glenn Hamstra and his two sons Jeff and David
- October 1, 1984 - Hired first employee, Robert Orr, who still works for the company today
- January 1, 1985 - Relocated to new building near 22nd and Park
- 1988 - Relocated to current office location on 17th street. 3,600 square foot building with rear yard
- 1998 - Glenn Hamstra steps down as President and Jeff takes over. Glenn still works for HHC as a consultant.
- 2005 - Bought 7,800 square foot building on 1.3 acres near the airport for fabrication shop
- November 2005 - Built addition on 17th street building (added four offices)
- January 2006 - Bought single table plasma cutter for fabrication shop
- 2006 - Wade Hamstra joins the HHC management team as General Business Manager
- January 2007 - Hamstra's fabrication shop becomes own company called Sheetmetal Solutions
- 2008 - Hamstra recognized by Inc. Magazine as one of the 5000 fastest growing privately held companies in America. One of only 11 Tucson companies to make the list
- 2008 - David Hamstra assumes management of Sheetmetal Solutions
- January 2010 - Built another addition on 17th street building (added two executive offices)
- March 2010 - Acquired about 400 residential service contracts from Tri-City Mechanical, expanding maintenance base by over 500 units.
Contact UsSimply complete this form and submit, or call us at the number above to contact us today.